Introduce yourself

Hey Everybody,

I am Laszlo from Hungary and we are planning to buy a Leo Rover to develop some interesting and useful autonomous applications with it.

We also would like to buy a Trossen Robotics PincherX 100 robotic arm (instead of the PhantomX Pincher because of limited software support) and later use depth sensors, lidars, different compute platforms (coral dev board, jetson nano, jetson xavier nx, qualcomm robotics dev kit).

I already have some questions regarding the compatibility of these so I would gladly accept some help which points me towards a thread that complies with these topics :slightly_smiling_face:

Have a nice week :slight_smile:

Hi, welcome to the community! Feel free to open a new topic and tell us what you need. Sure somebody from the team or community will help you.

Hi, I am Tony Davies from the UK. I am a software engineer (40+ years) and am just about to retire. Since I’ll have time on my hands I thought I’d learn ROS as I’ve always been interested in robotics. I am expecting a steep leaning curve as my development work has been largely business based. I started with COBOL, moved to basic, VB .Net, C, C# and a bit of python and R.

I would dearly love to purchase a Leo Rover, but will need to wait to see how finances work out in retirement. Maybe there is a senior citizen price :slight_smile:

Anyway, hi to you all. Keep on coding!

Tony

Hi Tony,
Somehow your quote from this post made it to my @ gmai.com and I decided to answer you.
My age compared to yours is +16, I, like you, work in my own field, but I have no reason to wait until my pension knocks on my door and then there will be time to learn new programming tools.
And all because I myself develop them for such people, how are you.
Welcome to Beeptoolkit - get started now!
Development of robotics, automation and intelligence devices No code
https://www.beeptoolkit.com/

Hi Szymon,
How about a programable No code toolkit for your Leorover?
no need to learn ROS, Python, C and etc…
https://www.beeptoolkit.com/

Hi @Beeptec, 40+ is not my age, it’s my years in IT. I am actual in my 60s. The idea of a low/no code platform is interesting and I wish you well with it. In my experience low/no code solutions for citizen developers are OK until you want to do something the platform doesn’t allow for, then you need code.

I will say my experience with these platforms is purely business apps like the MS Power Platform. Back in the late 70s, early 80s I was exposed to 4GL languages which were early attempts at low code development. Vista 4GL is still is use in the publishing world, but it is slowly dying as the pool of people who can use it is shrinking.

I’ll keep an eye on your site to see how things progress

Tony

2021-01-02T08:00:00Z

happy holidays, and a prosperous 2021.

I was strike by luck to find this site where I can explore what LeoRover is all about.

why LeoRover? A couple a years ago, I explored the idea of a device to go into the crawl area of my house.

10 years earlier , I crawled underneath my home, but I found out that it was so dirty and that i did not dare to go back again.

what a strike of luck to find a device that could be my eyes on the crawl area of my house.

my academic background is in mechanical engineering robotics and automation, but i never practiced mechanical engineering. My choice was to have a family, and I do not regret it.

I am always learning.

I am studying the components that Szymon was so kind to share, and based on that I am going to begin putting together a LeoRoover.

I would have a lot of questions about the Harware, Software, and Firmware.

thank you all.

Hi, great to se you here! If you have any questions or issues, feel free to open a topic in the forum and hope we’ll be able to help. You can always open one dedicated just for your case, don’t need to be specific to open one.

Hello to everybody :wave:
I’m Andrea from Italy. I will start to build my rover in few days, but in the meantime I’m playing with the MEB cover. The idea is to have some environmental sensors fully independent from the official hardware/firmware, but linked to Leo via another serial interface and ROS topics. So far I coded 2 ultrasonic distance and a temperature sensor. A weather station is also in the pipeline.
Arduino Nano is small enought to fit in the cover, I just enlarged the Mounting Plate and added the IMU supports. Here it is

1 Like

Hi all,

I am Flo from France, i just finished assembling my LEOROVER and charged batteries.
I have some experience with the Ardupilot environment (copter, plane land rover) with PC telemetry or Herelink but nothing in ROS or raspberry.

I am trying to find / create a solution for a robot dedicated to inspection (mainly empty pipeline). We will create a new topic for explain my project and maybe brainstorm on the topic :wink:

Thank you all.

Welcome @Flo and @Andrea , nice to meet you.
As you’re owners of Leo Rovers, if you write to me szymon@fictionlab.pl I’ll send you info how to join our private Slack workspace where you can access our whole team.
But of course, if you’re not afraid of the forum, you can open your separate topics and work there. Cheers!

Hi. I am a retired SW engineer and robotics enthusiast. I got started doing demos for James Gosling’s keynotes at JavaOne (back in the day) for real-time Java using robotic and industrial control scenarios. I later helped out with SW tools for the US First Robotics competitions.

I am something of a fan boy for the university rover competitions (I know some of your history there). I have been following Leo Rover developments for a while, and I appreciate its open source aspect, as well as its very clean design.

At the moment I am busy building a CNC capability for my machine shop, but I am hoping before too long to start putting together an home brew instance of the Leo Rover, leveraging some of your design and components (perchance the LeoCore, if available?).

Thanks for this site!

1 Like