Implementation Orrbec Astra

Here I need some swarm knowledge. I would like to build an Orbbec Astra on the LEO. That is not the problem either. However, I need the compressed streams that are not included in the standard installation. The aim is to make the 3 camera functions available as a compressed video stream and to be able to integrate them on the LEO UI / Rviz via WLAN. I need help to create these streams. It’s less about mapping or something - just the pure video image.

I don’t have the Orbbec Astra camera, but here’s what I would try to do:

First, install the astra_camera ROS package.
As I see, it uses image_transport for publishing Images on ROS topics. To enable the compressed image topics, you just need to have compressed_image_transport package installed (it should be already installed on LeoOS).

Now, start the ROS camera driver:

roslaunch astra_camera astra.launch camera:=astra

We set the camera argument to avoid topic namespace collision with the default Leo camera.

Now, when you do rostopic list you should see these topics:

/astra/image_raw
/astra/image_raw/compressed

You can now view the compressed stream on your computer using the image_view package:

rosrun image_view image_view image:=/astra/image_raw _image_transport:=compressed

Or you can utilize the web_video_server running on the robot to stream it over HTTP (and optionally integrate it to the UI). The URL for the compressed stream should look like this:

http://10.0.0.1:8080/stream?topic=/astra/image_raw&type=ros_compressed

OK :slight_smile:

Is it possible to use multible Camera Topics like this Tutorial .
https://wiki.ros.org/mjpegcanvasjs/Tutorials/CreatingAMultiStreamCanvas.
That is what I mean .

I haven’t tried this, but I think it should work as it was made to be compatible with web_video_server. But, I can’t guarantee it as the mjpegcanvasjs project has not been updated for years. If you can make it work with single camera stream it will probably work with multiple streams.